Artist: Ron Embleton
Medium: Gouache on Board
Size: 11" x 19" (280mm x 485mm)
Date: 1962This is the original Gouache painting by Ron Embleton.
Top panel is a view of St. Michael's church around 1824. The history of Coventry Cathedral goes back to the Eleventh Century when St. Osburg's convent was founded by Leofric Earl of Mercia. It was destroyed by marauding Danes under the leadership of Canute and Eadic The Traitor in 1016 (bottom panel). Leofric was the husband of the famous Lady Godiva who founded a Benedictine Monastery on the site in 1043.
The art board is badly creased top centre running diagonally down to ground level in the top frame. There is a smaller crease to the left of the central blank panel and glue residue at the bottom of the board.Ron Embleton biography